Wednesday, April 3, 2013

New Home for John

         I went to see John over noon hour today to get a feel for how lunch was handled at Garden Courte.   I found him sitting in the hall right inside the secure area next to the garden door.  It maybe have been Donna, this Saturday afternoon friend, that just been there and they had been in the garden.  As I greeted John, he smiled slightly and turned back to look in the garden.  John can best described as pleasant, calm and half in this world and perhaps more in another.

        John and I then moved to the garden to get some of the warm sun on our skin and I asked him how his sleep was and if he had a good morning. He doesn't really answer but smiles to the questions. I made some talk about my morning and we moved toward another door that enters the dining room.  Suddenly there is Ken, Mira and Ahman.  What a surprise!  They are passing by and what to check in on John.  John acted as he knew this group of people. We all shared about 15 minutes and they were off.

        I sat for along while watch how the staff moved patients into the dining room one by one. The tables were covered with dark blue linen cloths and bright lemon napkins.  As I sat there and I remembered my Mother's stay at a long term care facility, the memory is that of a horrible smell.  It was a drag to visit her for the odor  in that place.  It was considered one of the best in the city.   And yet, this place has none of that.  I wonder about design or management.  This staff is well trained in the small details about each person and method of handling situations and it shows.  I mention all this because the public media and my personal experience has all been so negative and I sat there today and realized that I was changing my mind about most of my belief on long term care.  None of us get the luxury of choosing our finial period time here but the very weak, sick and elderly need a staff of people to give that proper care.  When will this ever be an a goal for our national conscious, that this is a human right?  Probably not for a long time because we have not evolved enough as a people spiritually. 




No comments:

Post a Comment