Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Proud of the Shave

In the evening, the question is when are we going to bed?  There is more restlessness now waiting for the next thing to happen.  Last night at 11:30 John left his light on and I asked him to please shut off the light.  Again, at 4:15 I saw the light on but he was in the bathroom and he agreed that he would shut the light off in a short time.  Twenty minutes later, I found John totally dressed for the day and he was proud of the fact he did a good job of shaving. 

Gently I showed John that is was dark outside and that we don't get up until seven o'clock.  I stood and helped him get this pajamas on again and waited until he was in bed before leaving the room.

For the first time this morning, he was trying to asking about his class.  I explained that he goes only on Tuesday and Thursday but I think soon I will increase the number of days.  It currently works out best if he is only there from nine until one, after lunch he gets very restless to go home, so I pick him up an hour early.

The biggest change I have been noticing is that he is losing the words to ask the questions or express himself about things.  The most fortunate thing in John's life is that fact that we have Ken, Shuchi and Mira and Ahman.  They are all equally kind and understanding about his needs.  The grandchildren are beyond what could be expected from young children but they have the wisdom of old souls in handling his lectures or his concerns.

Soon we will be able to spend more time outdoors in our fenced in backyard and that will be a safe and easy place for John to occupy the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment